What information do we collect?
The Medical Schools Council works with schools, universities, and external organisations to develop and deliver a range of activities and events to support people from underrepresented groups who could benefit from greater access to information and support. Through our work in organising events, we collect contact information of parties who declare interest.
- School name
- School postal address
- Email address
We collect basic information about you, such as your name and email address, to ensure that you can register for the event. We may also collect other data such as your school name and school postcode to ensure that the event meets the objectives of widening participation.
The Medical Schools Council will store your personal data in accordance with its Records Retention Schedule. Your personal data will only be kept for as long as necessary to enrol you in the event and to assess the impact of the event in widening participation in medicine. The Medical Schools Council will only use anonymised information to perform research and to assess impact and outcomes of our widening access events.
Any personal data you do submit will be stored in a secured database and will only be processed by authorised staff from the Medical Schools Council. Personal information will not be shared with medical schools or third parties and no individual data will be identifiable.
What is the legal basis for processing personal data?
Our legal basis for collecting and processing personal data includes:
- To carry out a contract with you to deliver the activities and events that you have registered for
- Legitimate interests: this includes facilitating communication between MSC and organisations involved in widening participation in higher education
Sharing your information
The Medical Schools Council may share your information for several reasons. These include:
- Our obligations to comply with current legislation
- To comply with a court order
- The Medical Schools Council have received explicit consent from you for disclosure
Your personal data will not be transferred outside of the European Union, to third countries or international organisations.
When you visit our website, we may store some information on your computer. This information will be in the form of a ‘cookie’ or similar file and can help us in many ways. With most browsers you can erase cookies from your computer hard drive, block all cookies or receive a warning before a cookie is stored.
The Medical Schools Council will retain the data for as long as it is necessary. Some data may be retained permanently for historical, statistical and research purposes, and will subject to regular review. This is in line with the General Data Protection Regulation (2018) as the information will not be used to make decisions about individuals.
You can contact us:
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By post: Medical Schools Council, Woburn House, 20 Tavistock Square, London, WC1H 9HQ
Data Protection details
The Medical Schools Council is a ‘data controller’ under the General Data Protection Regulation (2018). The Information Commissioner has been notified that we process personal data and the details can be found on the Information Commission’s Office website.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation (2018), you have a right
- of access to the data that the Medical Schools Council holds about you
- a right to object to processing that is likely to cause or is causing damage or distress
- a right to prevent processing for direct marketing
- a right to object to decisions being taken by automated means
- a right in certain circumstances to have inaccurate personal data rectified, blocked, erased or destroyed
- a right to claim compensation for damages caused by a breach of the Regulation
You may have to pay a small fee to access the data held about you, and provide additional information so that your unique data can be identified by us.