Access to Medicine and Dentistry
Next year over 500 young people from England will be offered the chance to attend a summer school. The summer schools will be open to young people in Years 11 and 12 who are interested in studying medicine or dentistry.
Funded by Health Education England, the programme is aimed at young people who are from under-represented backgrounds, and targets areas of England that have limited outreach engagement with medical or dental schools.
For the first time there will be two dental summer schools, alongside four residential and two online medical summer schools.
The summer schools are:
Residential medicine summer school
- Leicester Medical School are offering 70 places for Year 12 students.
- Imperial College London School of Medicine and Outreach Team are pleased to be able to offer a four day residential summer school for 70 Year 11 students from across the UK, and particularly from areas where schools have little opportunity to interact with medical schools. Students will engage in practical and team building activities, gain an insight into what it is like to be a medical student and learn how to make a strong application to medicine.
- The collaborative North West Medical Schools Summer School will give 70 students in Year 12 a chance to experience three medical schools, Lancaster Medical School, Edge Hill University Medical School and University of Liverpool School of Medicine. Students will take part in online sessions and a residential, visiting the three medical schools and experiencing three styles of teaching and practical sessions across the three campuses.
- Exeter Medical School are offering 70 places for Year 11 students
Online medicine summer school
- The London Med Schools online summer programme brings together four of London's medical schools (King’s College London, Queen Mary, St George's, and University College London) to give 75 Year 12 students from across the UK an opportunity to find out what it is like to study medicine in London. Working with patients and student ambassadors, participants will gain a greater understanding of the realities of being a doctor and the skills needed to succeed.
- Hull York Medical School’s Year 11 Summer School will be an exciting opportunity for 75 students to take part in a journey through medicine, looking at the role doctors play in the treatment and care of a patient. The online Summer School will also be accompanied by a one day visit to the medical school site.
Residential dental summer school
- King’s College London Dental School will welcome 35 Year 12 students from across England to its Guy’s campus for a residential summer school in July 2022. Students will have the opportunity to experience what living and studying at a central London university is like as well as learn dental techniques through practical workshops and virtual reality sessions.
- University of Plymouth Peninsula Dental School’s Residential Summer School will enable 35 Year 11 and 12 least likely but most able of students to experience life as a dental student. It will cover the main elements of the student life cycle, focussing on supporting the students journey into dental education, including the admissions and selection process, through to life beyond dental school, showing the range of careers within the oral healthcare profession.
More details on each of the summer school and how to apply will be available soon.
Click here to see the privacy notice for the MSC Summer Schools programme.