Summer Schools 2020
Please note that the 2019 summer schools are now complete. Information regarding summer schools being held in 2020 will be updated on this page in due course.
In 2019 the Medical Schools Council is working with four medical schools to offer a series of free summer schools, as well as offering funding for students to gain places at a number of other pre-existing medical summer schools. The initiative has been funded by Health Education England and is aimed at young people from areas of England where few students apply to study medicine.
At an MSC Summer School these students can learn about becoming a doctor and whether it would be the right career for them. They will receive the information, skills and above all the confidence they need to submit a strong application to medicine.
The four MSC Summer Schools will be held in the universities of Exeter, Keele, Manchester and Imperial College London . Each MSC Summer School will be a residential event lasting four days. The medical school will determine how its event runs, using teaching sessions developed by its staff and by the Medical Schools Council alongside partner organisations such as the Royal College of General Practitioners. These organisations have helped produce materials relating to their aspects of the medical profession.
To be eligible, a student must be:
- In, or has been in, local authority care
Or hold a minimum of two of the following:
- Studying in a school that achieved below the national average Attainment 8 score at GCSE, or has attended such a school until the age of 16
- From a school with a high percentage of students receiving free school meals
- Living in a geographical area with low levels of progression onto higher education
- A young carer
- From a family where the parents do not have a university degree from the UK or abroad
- In receipt of or eligible for free school meals or the 16–19 Bursary Fund or Discretionary Learner Support or Means Tested Benefit
- Estranged from parents or guardians and/or be an asylum seeker or refugee
- Be a young carer
Eligibility will be assessed at the point of application.
Applications are handled directly by participating medical schools. To learn about the summer school taking place nearest you, and to apply, see its webpage via following links. Below each link is a list of areas that have been identified as having received low engagement from medical school outreach teams in recent years. Applicants from these areas who meet the eligibility criteria will be prioritised.
University of Exeter Medical School (link coming soon)
- Bath and North East Somerset
- East Dorset
- South Gloucestershire
- South Somerset
- West Somerset
- Weymouth and Portland
- Central Bedfordshire
- East Cambridgeshire
- Windsor and Maidenhead
- North Warwickshire
- South Staffordshire
- Telford and Wrekin
Click here to see the privacy notice for the MSC Summer Schools programme.