The MSC ED&I Alliance is responsible for the development of the Medical Schools Council’s work in equality, diversity and inclusion. Formed in 2021, its chief role is to provide practical guidance to support medical schools to become fair, diverse and inclusive environments in which to study and work. The ED&I Alliance aims to work with other sector bodies to improve participation, progression and success in medical education, training and research through advocacy and collaboration.
The ED&I Alliance consists of a reference group which meets twice yearly and is attended by two ED&I leads from each medical school. Elected from the Reference Group is a Board which meets three times a year to set the strategic aims of the ED&I Alliance. The ED&I Alliance is co-chaired by Dr Enam Haque and Dr Margot Turner.
Board members are as follows:
- Dr Mairead Corrigan – Queen’s University Belfast
- Dr Joseph Hartland – University of Bristol
- Dr Enam Haque (Co-Chair) – University of Manchester
- Dr Brigit McWade – Lancaster University
- Dr Vrinda Nayak – University of Exeter
- Professor Olanrewaju Sorinola – University of Warwick
- Professor Lindsey Pope – University of Glasgow
- Dr Joanna Semlyen – University of East Anglia
- Dr Rebecca Stack – University of Birmingham
- Dr Margot Turner (Co-Chair) – St George’s, University of London
Providing ongoing monitoring of the ED&I Alliance is an oversight group which meets annually to discuss progress.
The Oversight Group includes representatives from the following organisations:
- MSC Executive representatives
- MSC Chair(s)
- MSC ED&I Alliance Chair and student representative
- DSC representative
- VSC representative
- PhSC representative
- BMA medical student representative
- AoMRC representative
- HEE representative
- GMC representative
- MSC Selection Alliance Chair
- MSC Education Leads Advisory Group Chair
- MSC Assessment Alliance Chair
MSC ED&I Alliance publications
The following publications have emanated from the work of the MSC ED&I Alliance.