Financing your studies

Related Pages

Fee status – Home

Publicly funded universities usually group the fee status of their students by two categories: ‘home’ and ‘overseas/international’. Normally, home students are required to be both a national and a resident (for a minimum of three consecutive years) of the European Economic Area countries. This includes all European Union countries and the UK. Swiss nationals and children of Turkish workers may also be eligible for home status, subject to fulfilling certain criteria. There are other criteria for an applicant to be considered a home student, but if you are unsure then it is always best to contact the medical schools in which you are interested.

You should note that the fees for home students differ between universities in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, therefore specific requirements should be checked with the universities you are interested in applying to.

EU students starting degrees in the academic year 2020-2021 will continue to be eligible for the same fees as ‘home’ students. The announcement was made by Universities Minister for England Chris Skidmore.

Fee status – International

Students who do not meet the ‘Home’ criteria will be considered international students and pay international fees. These vary between medical schools but can be found on each individual university website. You should ensure that you are able to cover the cost of your tuition before beginning a medical course.

Applying for student loans (home students only)

UK applicants can apply for government tuition fee loans and means-tested maintenance loans through Student Finance. Some students may also be eligible for grants or NHS bursary support. It is best to apply for student finance as soon as you have made your UCAS application. With some exceptions for graduate entry programmes, you cannot apply for student finance if you have previously received funding for a different degree.

For more information, refer to the following organisations according to where you currently live:

The Student Loans Company also provide information for applicants living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Applicants from an EU country may be able to apply for government tuition and maintenance loan. For more details and how to apply, please see the Student Finance England website. EU Students commencing study in the academic year 2020-2021 will still be able to apply for loans to cover their tuition fees throughout their degree.

Students from the Islands are subject to different funding arrangements to mainland UK students. For information on support available to you for tuition fees and living costs you should contact your island education offices.

International students do not qualify for any UK government financial support.

Applying for student loans as a graduate (home students only)

The below information applies to English domiciled students only.

Students on a graduate entry medicine programme (an accelerated four-year course) are able to apply for partial tuition fee and maintenance loans and NHS bursaries. The remaining balance is self-funded.

Students taking undergraduate standard entry medicine as a second degree cannot access any government tuition fee loans (though they can apply for maintenance funding). In the final year of their degree course, students on the standard programme are eligible for NHS bursaries to cover tuition.

You can find a full breakdown of the funding available on the Royal Benevolent Fund and British Medical Association websites.

Scholarships and bursaries

Universities may also offer their own bursaries or scholarships. It is best to research what is available on the websites of the medical schools in which you are interested.

Other means-tested government grants may be available for eligible UK students:

It can be difficult for international students to access financial support as this is often very limited. You should always check the fee levels at a university before accepting a place. You should check with your university if you are eligible for any bursaries. The British Council may be able to offer you funding and guidance can also be sought from the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA). Commonwealth citizens may be able to apply for grants from the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission.